We are off on a family holiday enjoying sand, surf and sun this week. As timing has it, we will be returning at just about the end of strawberry picking season. And busy month that it’s been, we have yet to go out and pick berries. I sincerely hope that there will still be an opportunity to head out to the farm and fill our buckets to the brim with ripe, juicy berries.
If you have some strawberries on hand to enjoy, and if you’re in the mood for a light and refreshing meal, then you should give this salad a try. The sweet pecans, juicy strawberries, and bright vinaigrette make it a rather universally appealing dish. Our kids even enjoyed it, cleaning their plates too.
The dressing recipe calls for champagne vinegar. You can substitute a different vinegar if you don’t have champagne vinegar, but this is my suggestion to get some the next time you’re at the store. You won’t regret it.
Glazed Pecan & Strawberry Salad
- 4 C fresh spinach leaves
- 1 1/3 C sliced strawberries
- 1 C glazed pecans*
- 4 slices bacon (see note below)
- 1/2 C shaved Parmesan
- champagne vinaigrette**
- 1 C pecan halves
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 2 Tbsp champagne vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp minced onions
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Stir together pecans, coconut oil, maple syrup and spices in a small bowl. Mix well to ensure that the pecans are evenly coated. Spread the pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Toast in a 350° oven for ten minutes, stirring once during cooking. Let them cool on baking sheet until ready to serve.
- Cook bacon slices. Drain on a paper towel and let them cool. Then chop into small slices.
- Prepare vinaigrette: In a small jar, mix together oil and vinegar. Whisk in honey with a small fork or whisk. Stir in minced onions, salt, and pepper. Shake or stir again just before serving.
- Place one cup spinach leaves on each of four plates. Top each salad with 1/3 C sliced strawberries, 1/4 C glazed pecans, a quarter of the bacon slices, 2 tablespoons shaved parmesan, and preferred amount of vinaigrette.
- Serve immediately.
My husband didn’t care for the salty/sweet combination as much as I did. The bacon can easily be left out of this salad if you wish.